Today I’m thinking about things from childhood that most kids today would not “get”, though a few are having a comeback. How many do you remember?
- Chinese jump-rope made from rubberbands; we played with them at recess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48DTWOlmw0
- Gum Wrapper chains – I made one in high school that was over 5-feet long.
- My first tape recorder was a reel-to-reel similar to the one below
- My first stereo, bought with money from my job at Burger King, had an 8-track player. It was a lot like this one.
- Clackers – the ones I had were green https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE
- My first roller skates were the kind with a key that fit over your shoes. I never owned the other kind, just rented them at the Roller Skating Rink. I also never mastered inline skates, but I did try when my kids had them.
- Banana seats on a bike were so cool!
- TVs were so different. Ours had a “bunny ears” antenna, no remote, 3 channels, and the test pattern when the station was off-air.
- My first hose were held in place with a garter on a girdle-type contraption. Quite miserable for a 6th grader, though the pic makes it look glamorous.
- Sanitary pad belts – we won’t even go there.
You must be logged in to post a comment.